Mushrooms are fleshy plants that hold some crucial nutrients in it. It contains some essential antioxidants that can help prevent a lot of health issues. We love them in our meal, but what about our guinea pigs? Can we share mushroom with them? Can guinea pigs eat mushroom? Let’s find out!
Guinea pigs can eat a mushroom occasionally. Avoid wild mushrooms or any other variety that you are unsure of. These can be toxic to guinea pigs. Mushrooms like white, button and portabello are safe and can be fed. You must only serve fresh mushrooms as cooked food is terrible for them.
Mushrooms can be fed 2-3 times a week, but make sure not to feed them wild mushrooms. It is crucial to choose the right type of mushroom for your guinea pigs. Otherwise, it could lead to a nasty situation.
Let us learn more about mushroom and how you can serve it right to your guinea pigs.
Can mushrooms harm guinea pigs?
Mushrooms are not harmful to our guinea pig, as long as it is not a wild mushroom.
Mushrooms like white, button and portabello are not deadly to them. These mushrooms are not poisonous and can be fed freely. We can serve them mushrooms sparsely as it is low in calories.
Mushrooms also help prevent possible urinary stones. It is rich in potassium, which is needed by our guinea pigs.
Mushrooms contain fiber, which is unbelievably good for their digestion. It prevents constipation in our guinea pigs.
What happens if a guinea pig eats a mushroom?
We don’t need to worry if our guinea pig eats a mushroom; however, if it is a wild mushroom, then we need to take immediate action and call our vet.
Wild mushrooms can be toxic and can cause them to choke and can be life-threatening.
- Breathing problem
- loss of appetite is a common symptom of mushroom poisoning.
However, mushrooms like portabello are not poisonous, and they don’t have any side effects either.
Why are mushrooms so dangerous for guinea pigs?
There are around 80 types of mushrooms that are poisonous. If by mistake, guinea pig ends up eating wild mushrooms, it can lead to some inevitable problems. And that’s why it is somehow dangerous serving them mushrooms in the first place.
Guinea pigs cannot vomit or throw up anything that they have ingested. Thus, if the food contains anything bad, it goes through their body. This is why toxic substances should be kept miles away from your guinea pigs.
But general supermarket mushrooms are not harmful. These mushrooms are safe and do not hold any significant drawbacks, nor they have many health benefits.
In other words, they are not dangerous, but also they are not very beneficial. Some points to keep in mind before feeding them this:
- Phosphate stones: Mushrooms are generally low in calcium, which is a good thing for our guinea pig. However, in this case, the amount of phosphorus is higher than calcium, which can lead to phosphate stones. The level of calcium and phosphorus should be balanced to prevent this. Thus, only a small serving is recommended.
- Possibility of scurvy: Guinea pigs need Vitamin C as they cannot produce on their own. Mushrooms are comparatively low in Vitamin C as compared to other veggies. Lack of Vitamin C in the guinea pig’s body can cause scurvy. Thus, you need to mix it with Vitamin C rich food to create a balanced diet.
It is challenging to identify which ones are safe and which ones are not. But if we know what kinds of mushrooms are not toxic, then there is no danger feeding them this.
If you are ever confused or cannot identify if a mushroom is poisonous or not, just remember white, button, portabello is non-poisonous.
And they are safe for our guinea pig. Let’s know a bit more about wild mushrooms.
Is wild mushroom toxic to guinea pigs
Yes, wild mushrooms are very toxic to guinea pigs. Wild mushrooms should never be fed to our guinea.
There are a lot of varieties and species all over the world. Every mushroom is not poisonous, but it is challenging to identify which one’s not.
Most wild mushrooms are toxic and it contains toxins like Mycotoxins, MMH, Ibotenic acid, Muscarine, etc.
These toxins can be fatal and can cause liver damage, brain damage, seizures, kidney failure, etc. That can be life-threatening.
Mushrooms like Corrine can harm them instantly. So, it is better to avoid any kind of wild mushroom.
Do guinea pigs like mushrooms?
We have made it clear it can eat a mushroom unless it is not a wild mushroom. But if they will like it or not, it may vary among guinea pigs.
Some may love it while some may dislike it. However, it is not a problem as if they hate mushrooms; it is not much of a loss.
It indeed does not contain any remarkable nutritional benefit, which makes it very important for them. And if they like it is again not a problem as it doesn’t have significant drawbacks.
It is a win-win situation.
General FAQ on Guinea pigs and Mushroom
Let’s answer some of your questions now, to make things brighter and broader. Some of the most frequently asked questions are:
Can Guinea pigs eat fresh mushroom
Yes, guinea pigs can taste the fresh mushroom. The Guinea pig should be served fresh, raw, and uncooked mushrooms.
Fresh mushrooms can be served, but make sure it is not a wild mushroom.
Fresh mushrooms can be soft for them to chew and are low in calcium, and calories, which is somehow suitable for guinea pigs.
Can my guinea pig eat raw mushroom
Yes, guinea pigs should eat the raw mushroom. Avoid cooked mushrooms altogether as it is terrible for their digestive system.
Raw mushroom is healthy for them as it contains fiber. It helps in digestion and prevents constipation among guinea pigs.
Raw mushrooms can be healthy for them. Guinea pig needs extra care and pampering, and it is essential to know even the minor details of their food habit.
Can guinea pigs eat mushroom peelings?
Mushrooms are not a kind of food that needs to be peeled off before consumption. We can clean mushrooms without peeling its skin. As mushroom is soft and porous, it is entirely edible.
A Guinea pig can also eat mushrooms whole. We should just cut them into tiny pieces so they don’t take a big bite and choke, and also so that it can be easy for them to chew and eat.
Can guinea pigs eat mushroom stems?
Guinea pigs can eat mushroom stems, often known as stalk. It doesn’t contain any type of toxins and is perfectly fine for our guinea pig.
It includes a variety of fiber called beta-glucans, which can lower blood cholesterol levels.
Stems are often covered in dirt, so before serving them, don’t forget to wash it thoroughly and get rid of the dirt as much as possible.
How common is mushroom poisoning in guinea pigs?
Mushroom poison is quite common in guinea pigs. Because it is hard to determine the poisonous and non-poisonous one.
Guinea pigs often eat mushrooms that grow up in the lawn, which can be a wild mushroom, and that’s it is essential to look out for every unwanted thing around guinea pigs.
However, Amanita species are hazardous for them. An investigation was done on how guinea pigs react to mushroom, and the result was not pretty.
It is vital to note their every reaction, and if you feel something unusual, consult your vet immediately.
Symptoms of mushroom poisoning in guinea pigs
Keep an eye on your guinea pig. If you sense any changed behavior, contact your vet immediately. Some signs of mushroom poisoning are:
- Heavy breathing
- Increased heart rate
- Loss of appetite etc
Consult your vet without wasting any time it may be because of mushroom poisoning.
The symptoms show in 48 hours, and then later, it gets worse in no time.
And even if it’s not because of this, it is always important to consult your vet if your guinea pig is unwell.
How to prevent mushroom poisoning in guinea pigs
To prevent mushroom poisoning in guinea pigs, we have to take more straightforward steps:
- There should be no mushrooms growing in your lawn. Even if it occurs naturally, make sure to remove them before it caught guinea pig eyes.
- All unknown mushrooms should be kept from guinea pig as far as possible. Know about mushrooms before serving them.
- Guinea pig’s diet should be met regularly to make sure they have a robust immune system. So, if, by chance, guinea pig consumes anything toxic, she has a healthy immune system.
- Check before you serve them, white, button, and portabello are safe options.
We should take these safety measures to keep our guinea happy and healthy.
What to do if your guinea pig has eaten wild mushrooms?
If, after taking all the safety measures, your guinea pig ends up eating wild mushrooms, then call your vet immediately.
Take an emergency appointment because it can be life-threatening. The symptoms will start showing in 5-10 minutes but don’t wait for the signs.
If you are sure guinea pig has eaten wild mushrooms, rush them to the hospital or wait for the veterinarian. They may ask for mushroom samples; it is better to place them in cloth rather than plastic.
Key point: Don’t panic. Handle the situation with grace.
Sources: Nutrition in mushroom, Benefits of mushroom, Diet Composition of Guinea Pigs, Dietary Vitamin C, and Vitamin E needs of Guinea Pig, Vitamin C need of our guinea-pig