We all know the ideal food for our guinea pigs is hay, vegetables, etc. But just like us, our guinea pigs are also food lovers; they also want to try different things. And when it comes to our cavies, it is vital to know the benefits and hazards of every food item. Today, we will discuss bread and its impact on our guinea pig. Can guinea pigs eat bread? Is bread good for them? Let’s find out!
Guinea pigs can eat bread, but only when it is served in moderation. Bread doesn’t have any nutritional benefits; it is more likely a junk food for them. Make sure you only feed a small amount of bread once in a while to your guinea pigs.
Bread is one of the oldest human-made food. It is found mostly in every part of the world. Bread also plays an essential role in religious rituals and secular culture.
In France, bread is considered one of the most important meals. We can make various dishes using bread; it is like the cream of the crop. Guinea pig is more likely an animal that needs to have a healthy bowl, full of nutrition and vitamins.
Humans have a better digestive system and can digest bread easily, but unlike us, guinea pigs may or may not digest bread easily. It may vary among different cavies.
As we have already seen, there are more drawbacks of feeding bread to our guinea pig. We will consider this down below, but for now, let’s look at the nutritional values of bread to begin with.
Before you read further, Here are some of our popular books that provides you great value. You don't want to miss them out!
- In-Depth Understanding Of All Aspects Of Their Diet
- List Of Vegetables And Fruits Guinea Pigs Can Eat
- Types Of Hay+ How To Choose The Best One
- Importance Of Vitamin C and Calcium+ How To Balance It
- Toxic Food To Our Guinea pigs
- Water For Your Guinea Pig (How It Can Lead To Bladder Stone)
- 4 Complete Diet Chart To Follow With Veggie List
- Learn All About Setting Up Perfect Living Environment
- An Overview Of A Guinea Pig's Diet
- Understand Common Behavior And How To Deal With It
- An Insight On Common Health Problems And What To Do About It
- A Complete Care Guide To Keep Your Guinea Pig's Healthy and Happy
- Covers All The Practical Aspect Of Keeping Guinea Pigs
Nutrition In Bread
Bread is an artificial food made from a dough of flour and water. It has no nutritional value instead of fulfilling us with calories.
There are various types of bread with different properties, but in general, a normal bread has:
- Calories: 74 calories in total, which can cause obesity if fed continuously.
- Fibers: 1.2 g of fibers present in the bread makes it good for digestion.
- Carbs: 15.1g of carbs is for fast energy.
- Fats: 0.7g of fats are needed for optimal daily needs for energy.
- Proteins: Overall, bread has 2.9g of protein.
Bread does not have any exceptional nutritional values that can benefit our guinea pigs. As we already told you, bread is like junk food for them.
However, there are a few things which you must learn about it. So, I would suggest you to continue reading our article till the end.
Are guinea pigs allergic to bread
No, guinea pigs are not allergic to bread, but bread does not benefit them either. Some guinea pigs might have an allergic reaction to certain food and so you must keep an eye out for the same.
Bread cannot be served before them as a staple food. We can serve them bread in little quantity as it doesn’t hold any nutritional value, and it’s better if we avoid bread as it is nothing but a junkie.
Why is bread bad for our guinea pigs?
Bread can harm our cavies in various ways; few of them are:
- Bloated: All these complex carbohydrates and calories can increase unnecessary fat, which can lead to obesity and cause them to be bloated. Our guinea pigs need a healthy body to be active and to reduce sickness.
- Choking hazard: Bread can be choking hazard for our cavy as if they are fed the softer part of bread, it can get stuck in their mouth and throat. White bread can suffocate them and make it choking hazard for them.
- Digestion problem: Bread is nothing but junk food for our guinea pig, which can lead to digestive system disturbance and imbalance. Humans can digest bread and pastries easily, but it is not the same for our guinea pig. White bread creates more digestion problems than brown bread.
- Possibility Of Diarrhea: Bread can lead from the digestion problem to the possibility of diarrhea, gas, vomiting, and pains. Bread can cause various tummy related issues. It is better if we avoid bread as much as possible.
Some FAQ on Guinea pigs and Bread
There are so many questions regarding guinea pig and bread. We are trying to deal with some frequently asked questions, to clear doubts in the mind of most guinea pig owners.
Is bread poisonous for our guinea pig?
No, bread is not poisonous for our guinea pig. However, it is not suitable for their health as it doesn’t contain any nutritional benefits.
We can feed our guinea pigs a little bread but only as a treat. Serving them bread as a staple food can harm them in various ways.
Does bread benefit the guinea pig-like it does to us?
No, bread contains carbs and calories, which a human body needs and can digest properly.
But that’s not the case with our guinea pig. All these calories can make our guinea pig bloat. Also, white bread is more harmful than brown grain bread.
- 50 Unique Coloring Designs
- Only One Design Per Page
- Printed On Good Quality White Paper With Glossy Cover
- Sized At 8.5x11, A Perfect Size To Color And Frame!
- Hours Of Fun And Relaxation For Adults As Well As Kids
- 50 Unique Halloween Theme Coloring Designs
- Printed On Good Quality White Paper With Glossy Cover
- Sized At 8.5x11, A Perfect Size To Color And Frame!
- Hours Of Fun and Relaxation For Adults As Well As Kids
- A Perfect Gift Item!
How often can our guinea pig eat bread?
Bread is not rich in Vitamins or minerals. It doesn’t contain any nutrients except calories, carbs, fats, etc. We should feed our guinea pigs bread only as a treat once in a while. Maybe a small piece once a month or so.
Bread can be harmful to our guinea pig in many ways. We know our cavy needs Vitamin C as it cannot produce this vitamin on their own. A healthy bowl of vegetables would be full of a better choice instead of bread for our guinea pigs.
Are guinea pigs allowed white bread
Guinea pigs are not allowed white bread. White bread can be dangerous for them as it doesn’t hold any nutritional benefits.
And also, its softer part can be chewy and can get stuck in their mouth and throat. These things can be proved to be a choking hazard for them.
White bread contains fat and unwanted preserved chemicals that can harm our guinea pig, make them bloat, and cause digestive problems.
Are guinea pigs allowed brown bread
A Guinea pig can be fed brown bread but only as a treat. Brown bread is more preferable over white bread.
But it should only be fed as a treat. If fed regularly, brown bread can also harm our guinea pig.
Brown bread contains almost the same qualities as white bread, but brown bread is made up of wheat and grain. And that’s why we can serve our guinea pig a little brown bread.
Can guinea pig eat bread sticks
We can offer our guinea pigs breadsticks but only as a treat. Breadsticks should be chopped and then presented before them as they can be choking hazard if taken a big bite.
Again, it doesn’t hold any nutritional values and will be just like junk food for them. That’s why it should be given moderately.
Can guinea pigs eat bread crust
Guinea pigs can eat bread crusts as it is quite harder than the bread and so there is less chance of choking hazard.
But it should also be served in tiny pieces in front of them. Regular bread crusts should be served and not the sugar bread crust or cinnamon bread crusts.
Sugar or cinnamon coated bread crusts should not be fed to our guinea pigs as it can increase their sugar levels and harm their digestive system.
Can guinea pigs eat bread and milk
It is better to avoid feeding guinea pig bread and milk. As guinea pig is a herbivore, we should avoid feeding them any dairy product.
Their body cannot digest any dairy products easily. And bread itself is like junk food for them. They both together can disturb their digestive system and can cause problems.
What if my guinea pig eats bread?
Guinea pigs can eat bread once in a while. It may vary among guinea pigs. Some may like them, whereas some may despise them. But what if my guinea pig likes bread?
I’ll prefer to feed bread to my guinea pig as a treat. That is if only once in a month. I know how important it is to feed my guinea pig healthy food and give them a healthy diet.
I’ll prefer to avoid bread for them as much as possible, even if they like it because regular intake of bread can harm your guinea pig and can cause some severe damage to their body.
What is a healthy diet for your guinea pigs?
Our guinea pig needs to have a bowl full of nutrition. Our guinea pig cannot produce Vitamin C on their own, so we need to serve them foods that are rich in Vitamin C.
Also, they have a fragile digestive system, so we should feed them food that is easy to digest. We have to also care about their sugar level. Their sugar intake should be in control. They cannot digest sugar easily, which leads to various health problems.
Just like these, there are a lot of consequences of not eating healthy that we should keep in mind.
We have listed various healthy and nourishing food that is good for our guinea pigs:
- Hay: It is an integral part of a guinea pig’s diet. It provides fiber to our guinea pig, which is essential for digestion, and it also helps to wear down their teeth that keep growing continuously.
- Vegetables: It is recommended to feed guinea pigs a healthy bowl of fresh vegetables.
- Pellets: These are an excellent source of Vitamin C. We know that our guinea pig needs Vitamin C as they cannot produce it on their own.
- Pellets should be chosen that are specially made for a guinea pig.
- The Guinea pig should be fed pellets in small quantities. Don’t overfeed pellets as it doesn’t grind their teeth well.
- Fruits: It should also be presented before them but in a limited quantity. But choose fruits very wisely as they contain some amount of sugar and other nutrients which can harm them.
- Water: We should keep our guinea pig hydrated. Guinea pigs need 80-100 ml of water. But a pregnant guinea pig will have an increased water intake.
- Water should be clean and fresh before presenting it before guinea pigs. The right quantity of water will help their digestion and protect them from urinary infection.
- Guinea pigs may like their water at room temperature or maybe a little cold. They don’t like warm water.
We hope we have concluded all your points on guinea pig and bread. Guinea pig can be a very tricky and naughty pet.
We have to take care of them every step. Guinea pig and bread are not a bright combination. And so, it should be fed as a treat.
Sources: Diabetes in guinea pigs, Mineral Balance in Guinea Pigs, Dietary Vitamin C, and Vitamin E on Guinea Pig Immune Responses to Mitogens, Vitamin C requirements of the guinea-pig, Is Your Guinea Pig’s Diet Providing the Right Nutrients? Care of Guinea Pigs.